Friday, April 18, 2008

Indian Theme Night


(These two pictures are from Goggle Images)


A few months ago, I posted about our monthly Girl's Night. This month we decided to have an Indian theme.


(This picture of Chicken Tikki Masala is from Goggle Images)

We made several authentic Indian dishes including: Appetizers: Spicy Stir-Fried Mushroom Bruschetta (Cooking Light) and Indian Samosas; Main Dishes: Chicken Tikki Masala, Indian Style-Chickpeas, Indian Style Basmati Rice, and Naan.


(My hand)

(My back, designed by the wonderfully talented, Kate)

After our wonderful dinner, we began our paintings. Well we didn't actually paint on traditional canvases. We used our own bodies as our canvases. Using Henna paint, we each took turns painting traditional and nontraditional Indian designs.


(The cover of my mom's own copy of Monsoon Wedding)

Finally, we watched a wonderful Indian movie. Monsoon Wedding is fun, colorful, and an experience not soon to be forgotten. As Peter Travers from Rolling Stone states, "Monsoon Wedding tackles the chaos that results when a large Indian family, whose members are scattered around the globe, assembles in contemporary New Delhi for an old-fashioned marriage ceremony. Director Mira Nair aims for pure joy and achieves it."


Let me know if any of you have every tried or are thinking of trying some of these wonderful Indian dishes, Henna paint, or the movie Monsoon Wedding.


(These two pictures are from Goggle Images)

6 comments:

steviewren said...

Mmmmm, I want to try that Basmati rice dish please.

The pictures you chose are so lovely. I absolutely am rocked by the colors of saffron, curry, henna and marigold.

I'm a girl...just a very old girl...please invite mothers to your next Indian night. : )

Rachel said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Maybe we should do some Henna designs sometime soon.

steviewren said...

okay, I want to do my feet.

Rachel said...

Well if we do your feet, then we must make some Indian food to eat after all our painting!

steviewren said...

Rachel, the purple petunias on your sidebar are so pretty. Purple flowers in front of the day lilies will be a beautiful color combination when they both are blooming. I noticed that you have plants in your garden spot too. You've been working hard.

Rachel said...

Thanks steviewren! We have been working very hard. Taylor said we needed before dinner mints, then he handed me two Advil!