Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Eraser Eradication

E...is for Eraser



As you all might know by now, if you have read my profile, I am an educator. I know what most of you who are moms or homeschool moms are thinking: "So am I."




So knowing that most of you are fellow educators, maybe you have experienced this little soap box that I'm about to get on and ride all the way to the drain.




I get so frustrated, no enraged, when I see elementary school children trying their hardest to complete their assignments using pencils without erasers.




I suppose children use their erasers much more quickly than they use the lead in their pencil, because they are still very much learning about "everything" and therefore, writing many incorrect answers and then needing to erase them. This process causes the children to be left with metal stubs. And guess what? They continue to try and use the stubs to erase their mistakes. The metal stub/non-eraser, in turn rips a big hole in their paper!




This is my favorite: Those pencils you find that look like they have been chewed on. Guess what? They have been chewed. But why, you might ask. I'll tell you why: in an attempt to squeeze out the reminder of the eraser that is left in the metal stub.




This is my plea to all other educators out there: Please, Please, Please, Please give these desperate children a chance. Give them an opportunity to write and erase with the proper tools. Please give them new pencils! I mean really, how much do pencils cost?


This is what a pencil should be: long, sharp and containing an eraser.


Stop the Eraser Insanity!


2 comments:

Beth said...

Rachel, this is hilarious! A little ocd coming out? :-) I hate worn out erasers too...

Mod girl has requested that you show us the baby bedding!!! :-)

Cute that T didn't balk at it...

Rachel said...

Your request shall be granted.