Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Stockpiling Junky

Our makeshift pantry in the basement.


Ok. I have decided to share this little secret with the world. I am a stockpile junky! I love the high I get from a great savings and a stocked pantry. My money savings addiction only started a few months ago, but I think I am going to be an addict for life.


Yes, this is what you think it is. Twenty pounds
of Basmati Rice. What can I say, we like rice.


My Mission:
-To save money. Whether it be ten cents or ten dollars, it all adds up to a great savings.


It never hurts to have a few extra packs of saltine
crackers.


My Objectives:
- To have the necessary resources, at my fingertips for making nightly meals
- To eliminate stress caused by not having the items I need


I like to make my own spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce.


My Goals:
- Only buy cold items, fresh produce, and rare boxed items at regular grocery stores at full price
- Make cost effective items homemade
Examples: homemade chicken broth, cook dried beans instead of buying canned, freeze leftover meals to serve at a later date, and in the future make homemade baby food


You counted it right. Over twenty boxes of pasta.


How to achieve these goals:
- First, buy items at discount stores. This includes places like Big Lots and local Bent-n-Dent stores.
- Second, buy items on sale or clearance. This includes all most any store. Most grocery stores have sales or coupons. However, make sure it is really a good deal. Often coupons on name brand items do not reduce the price lower than you can buy the item in the store brand version. One of my favorite clearance stores is Target. They put items on sale anywhere from 15% to 90% off the regular price.
-Third, buy items in bulk. Buying in bulk can take place anywhere-Grocery stores, Target, Costco, Sams, Big Lots... Anywhere you find a good deal, you should buy in bulk. The savings multiply, you will be stocking your pantry, and you don't have to worry about shopping for the same item for many months.


These items will last us at least one year.


Conclusions:
- Stockpiling food or buying in bulk does save money. It also lowers my stress level during regular grocery shopping and nightly meal cooking.


We do not always eat sugary cereal. However, after several weeks of
the ultra high in protein and fiber cereals, I need something nutrition less.


Being Realistic:

- Does all of this mean I refuse to shop at the local quick mart when I am desperate. NO!!! This means I actually feel better about buying about an over priced gallon of milk, because I know I am saving in other places.
-Buying in bulk, to save money may take up a little more time and energy. However, as I have established, it gives me a high and it has become one of my many habits, hobbies, and pleasures.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Love it! I like that you've thought out your strategies and "rules" for saving. Good stuff!

You know I'm a fellow addict for sure!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Okay, this post made me laugh because I'm right there with ya! Over the past 2 years I've been making a concerted effort to lower our monthly grocery expenditures. So, yes, I stock up on really good deals, but not quite to the extreme that you have (but maybe I should)!

I've found that clipping coupons and saving them to use when the item is on sale often yields a lower price than the store brand. The Grocery Game helps me out with this.

And, for future reference on making homemade baby food... I found wholesomebabyfood.com to be an extremely educational resource.

Rachel said...

Mod girl, thanks so much for your comments. I love to know that others are reading my blog! I can't wait to check out the baby food site.