Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cooked Fruit Fun

I made this fruity dessert mainly because I saw a picture of a blueberry tart in Domino magazine. I realized that I had a left over refrigerated pie crust, some frozen blueberries, and an apple in the fridge. I knew they would all spoil if I did not use them soon. So I decided to be extra domestic and experimental and here are the results.


Fruit Tarts (Blueberry Tart by: Domino, Apple Tart by: Rachel)


Blueberry Tart
(published in Domino's October '07 issue)

Ingredients:
2 packages (14 oz. each) frozen puff pastry
3 cups (1 1/2 pints) blueberries
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
juice of 1/2 lemon
vanilla ice cream

Apple Tart
(by Rachel)

Ingredients:
2 packages (14 oz. each) frozen pastry
2-3 apples (cut into thin slices)
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 tbsp. cinnamon


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375
°. On a cookie sheet cut out two 5 inch circles from each piece of pastry. Chill pastry while preparing fruit mixtures. For the blueberry tart: mix blueberries, flour, sugar, and lemon juice together. For the apple tart: mix apple slices, flour, sugar, and cinnamon together. Place blueberry mixture on two chilled pastry rounds. Place apple mixture on two chilled pastry rounds. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the edges of the pastries are golden brown.

I hope you enjoy this Sweet Treat!

4 comments:

steviewren said...

Yummy! Can I hire you to cook for me?

Mom

Beth said...

Two things:
Did you have to eat the tarts all by yourself, since Tay won't touch the fruit?

Domino is very cool,eh? Just discovered it recently myself. Published by the Wired people...

Yummy looking eats you've fixed up there!

Rachel said...

Beth, Yes I did have to eat them by myself:( But that just means there was more for me.

I think I am about to sign up for Domino. It's only ten dollars and you get a free tote bag! I think swb signed up for it also!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

These look and sound delicious. I'm not very talented when it comes to baking so finding simple recipes like these is always nice.