Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Out with the Old, In with the New

Our KitchenOut with the old!

We recently bought all new kitchen appliances!

In with the new!

Disclaimer: This post was not written as a complaining tool. I am very thankful that our appliances worked for as long as they did. I like to think of this post as sharing the comical events that have happened to us over the last several months.

We moved into our 1950's home a little over 7 months ago. Our old appliances were just that, OLD! They worked! But, let me give you a description of how they worked.


The Dishwasher
Out with the old!

The dishwasher was the best item in the kitchen. It washed the dishes, except it sounded like a freight train coming through our kitchen, living room, basically the entire house. You know the type of dishwasher I'm speaking of, the only time you turn it on is when you're going to bed or leaving the house. Oh, and the front/face fell off about 3 months ago, but no worries we glued it back on except it fell off again.

In with the new!


The Stove/Oven
Out with the old!

The second best/worst item was the stove/oven. The stove cooked/baked our food. How do you all like your casseroles cooked: done, well done, or black? Over the last 7 months, I have learned how to bake with this stove. First, turn the temperature at least 5-10 degrees lower than the recipe recommends. Second, turn the item halfway through the baking process. Third, if there is a topping, such as cheese, always add it at the very end therefore insuring that it will still resemble cheese when finished.

Oh, and I will briefly mention the midnight, 2 a.m., 4 a.m. wake up calls when the timer on the stove/oven decided it was hungry and needed to be feed. Lets just say that I was not at all amused. Nothing seemed to shut it up. I even went so far as trying Duck tape. In the end, I had to close our bedroom door and turn up the noise maker. It was still buzzing when I woke and when I went to work. On my way home from work, I had visions of beating it with a bat until it stopped buzzing. Fortunately for it, my sweet sweet husband had come home earlier from work and cut the wire to the timer!

In with the new!


The Refrigerator
Out with the old!

The third worst item in the kitchen was the refrigerator. Ok here's the tale of the tarnished refrigerator. The refrigerator/freezer kept our food cold, very, very, very cold! It loved it's job of keeping food cold. Except I think it loved being a freezer more than a refrigerator. The freezer portion of the refrigerator, being jealous, would leak water into the refrigerator and then it would freeze. Therefore not only would huge chucks of ice build up on the bottom of each shelf, all of the items in the refrigerator would freeze: milk, cokes, and vegetables!

But the last straw was...the day that the refrigerator portion decided to retaliate against the freezer portion. I opened the frig door one morning, poured my milk and it tasted cool, but not cold. When I came home from work, the air in the frig smelled stale. I suppose the frig decided to freeze some water in the openings that blows cold air down into the frig portion. I'm sure the frig was only trying to when the frig/frez battle, but in the end, I think we were the only ones that won.

In with the new!

We love our new appliances so much. The dishwasher is so quiet, the stove bakes evenly (and the timer works), and I have not seen any water build up in the refrigerator.

Thank you Lord for new appliances!

7 comments:

steviewren said...

Love the jealous refrigerator concept. That might make a good children's story. Do your new appliances walk?

Love,
Mom

Candace said...

I am so happy for you. Very nice improvements.
Yes, we would like to know, do they walk?

tincanlily said...

How nice to get new appliances. Good luck with them. I could use a new dishwasher myself. I am use to doing them by hand. Only use the dishwasher when we have a party.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Hah! Your kitchen looks great after the little face lift! It's amazing how new appliances can totally change the look of a room.... and your outlook! Happy cooking.

Rachel said...

Thank you all for your comment. It makes me so happy to read what you think.

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Congrats on your new kitchen appliances! They look beautiful--I love black appliances, too!

Beth said...

Wow, Rach! They look nice! So FUN to have new things. I know you're enjoying them!